Sunday, September 10, 2017

I have a new website-- http://www.peggywickham.com/  I had heard that a different platform was easier to use, so I switched. It has not been easier, but I have decided to keep it anyway.

I have not posted in several YEARS on this blog because I've been active in the gallery where my work is shown, and also I've begun to display my work around town at other venues. I have had a fair amount of success with both.

That being said, my work is fairly different from the type of work I was doing when I last posted. I have taken several classes that have had a major impact on my work. Although the classes were in mixed media techniques and in abstract techniques, most of my work is still acrylic, but augmented by mixed media techniques. In the same way, it is not truly abstract, but has abstract qualities. In this way, it would be called "Abstracted" rather than "Abstract".

This piece, featured on the front page of the aforementioned new website, is an example. It actually started out as a long narrow painting of waves in the ocean. It kept reminding me of something, but I couldn't think of what. Finally, it dawned on me on morning as I woke up: it reminded me of a day in July, 1993. We were visiting Rocky Mountain National Park, It was a stunningly gorgeous day, although, since we were on some of the mountain tops in the park, it was SO cold- the kind of cold when you just can't get warm even in the car with the heater on (in July, mind you). No matter- I was so astounded at the feeling that was overwhelming that day, that I could almost touch the face of God in that blue, blue (COLD) sky. It still fills me with awe to remember it. So, that's the name of this painting: "Touching The Face Of God". It has an alternative name: "Touching The Sky".  It was done with acrylic paint, and hand printed archival papers made with acrylic paint, using a gelli plate.


No comments: